Thursday, March 15, 2012

NATIONAL IDENTITY CRISIS

Hey Dawa! “It does not look nice, why don’t you remove it, you look like tourist guide” said two of my college friend. I was aback to listen to, as far as my right and respect to national identity concern.
 Why? In turn, I made inquiries to them, but they didn’t give me any concrete reason.
Then I was wondering, what was the blunder in wearing national flag stripe around my neck to hang college ID card. What faulty I have as a proud Bhutanese, hanging its national flag with respect and the importance of it in the mind. May be it appeared odd or nonsense, but no matter whatever the hidden reason it be, I would love to put it on.
Including me, many Bhutanese do have reverence and loyalty to any national identity, be it in the office, the dzong, the school, the institute and in any social context within Bhutan. The exclusive significant and indigenous implication it has, gives us separate boundary of self-governing and wealthy in culture. The national fortification of culture could be a reason why I guess is instigated to protect and uphold our unique culture and national identity. The issue raised in one of the K2 weekend magazine, regarding the mistreatment of national identity in commercial was disrespectful. The print of national flag on the shoe, do we think, it is morally right treatment? (When it has bigger imperative in our country) I think it is totally against the constitution of Bhutan and most contempt which needs deep thought over it. We being as Bhutanese if we don’t argue and defend our values and give correct treatment to any identity, who would you think will behalf us to protect? I guess none other than me, you and all the Bhutanese.
Within the friends I have intermingled in schools and college until today, I heard many times the praise and hopeful statement, when clothed in western fashion such as logo on the chest, scarf with western flag on the head and other latest trend cloths. Nonetheless these days, it was shocking to hear from my thoughtful friends of Education College, complaining and daunting on national flag strip being dangled around the neck. Does it sound right? I think it is a time for us to give deeper thought of where we are heading to.

No comments:

Post a Comment